Celtic salvaged their Europa League knockout hopes with a hard-fought win over Hungarian champions Ferencvaros.
Kyogo Furuhashi slid residence the opener from a elegant Jota go after a irritating first half.
Balint Vecsei’s unlucky personal aim confirmed victory after Callum McGregor’s earlier penalty miss had extended Celtic’s nerves in Glasgow.
It meant a close to full Celtic Park was capable of have a good time a primary group stage win following a troublesome begin.
The opening defeats by Actual Betis and Bayer Leverkusen meant Celtic needed to win to have any likelihood of progressing on this competitors, a truth acknowledged by supervisor Ange Postecoglou earlier than the match.
Regardless of the bizarre 15:30 BST kick-off time, partly as a result of Glasgow’s internet hosting of the United Nations’ COP26 Local weather Convention, a bumper crowd turned out at Celtic Park to assist their group on their mission.
They have been the extra assertive facet within the opening 45 minutes however have been held at arm’s size by Ferencvaros, who determined to take a seat off and deny their hosts the house they crave.
Kyogo minimize a annoyed determine up entrance as he struggled to sneak off the shoulder of his markers, with influential winger Jota coming closest with two efforts which Ferencvaros goalkeeper Denes Dibusz did properly to maintain out.
The Benfica loanee is rising in stature every week at Celtic, and it was his driving run from his personal half and pinpoint go that lastly launched Kyogo in behind the Ferencvaros backline, because the Japan ahead stayed composed to cushion the ball into his path and stroke residence the opening aim.
The reduction at Celtic Park was evident, and there was additional elation three minutes later as Adam Montgomery cleverly drew a foul from Henry Wingo to earn a penalty which gave the house facet the possibility to all however safe a treasured win.
However Celtic have hardly ever appeared convincing for 90 minutes this season and Dibusz learn McGregor’s spot kick and dived brilliantly to his left to maintain the rating at 1-0 and arrange a nervous ending.
Nevertheless, Ferencvaros’ promise of a courageous, attacking show didn’t materialise as Celtic stored their foot on the throttle, ultimately being rewarded with 10 minutes left.
McGregor’s wonderful sort out allowed Jota to tee up Turnbull, and regardless of the Scotland midfielder making a meal of a easy faucet in, an tried clearance appeared to hit off Vecsei and located the highest nook.
Postecoglou’s males had later possibilities to make the win extra emphatic – and likewise a couple of defensive scares – however finally bought the win they desperately craved.
Man of the match – Callum McGregor
What did we be taught?
This was a much-needed convincing victory for Celtic on the European stage, having conceded 4 targets in dropping 5 of their final six Europa League group video games.
McGregor was excellent on the base of midfield, getting on the ball greater than anybody, finishing all however three of his 107 passes, and recovering possession seven occasions, urgent brilliantly to win the ball and finally tee up the second aim. His significance to the best way Celtic play is difficult to overestimate.
One other constructive was the continued wonderful type of Jota, who now has seven aim involvements in 9 video games for Celtic, and appears like a participant with the technical capacity to get higher and higher.
Postecoglou may even be delighted with a second consecutive clear sheet given their defensive frailties this season, though Ferencvaros didn’t convey the dynamism on the counter assault that was anticipated, and Joe Hart and Anthony Ralston nonetheless needed to make essential interventions to maintain the guests out.
There may be nonetheless a lot for this group to show, however a extra settled squad and three straight wins will assist to enhance cohesion and confidence.
What they stated
Celtic supervisor Ange Postecoglou: “We managed the primary half properly they usually needed to work laborious to stifle us a bit bit however we nonetheless created some possibilities and denied them any alternatives.
“We knew they’d tire a bit second half as a result of they have been working so laborious and the sport opened up and we bought a extremely good aim. After that, we may have had a pair extra.”
What the stats say
- Celtic have received six of their eight matches at residence to Hungarian opponents in all European competitions (D1 L1), protecting a clear sheet in 4 of their final 5 such video games.
- Together with qualifying matches, Ferencvaros have now misplaced every of their final six matches in European competitors, extending what was already their longest run of defeats in Europe.
- Celtic have ended a run of 14 Europa League matches with no clear sheet, recording one for the primary time since October 2019 at residence to CFR Cluj. They’d conceded 36 targets throughout their final 14 matches within the competitors.
- Kyogo Furuhashi is the primary Japanese participant to attain for Celtic in a European encounter since Shunsuke Nakamura bagged towards Man Utd again in November 2006 within the Champions League.
- Celtic ahead Jota has had the very best variety of pictures of any participant within the Europa League this season (12), although the Portuguese continues to be awaiting his first aim within the competitors.
- Since his first full breakout season for Manchester Metropolis again in 2010-11, solely 4 different Englishmen have appeared in additional European matches (Europa League/Champions League) than Celtic goalkeeper Joe Hart (59, excluding qualifiers – James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Chris Smalling and Kyle Walker).
- 56RalstonBooked at 40mins
- 4StarfeltBooked at 28mins
- 54MontgomeryBooked at 68minsSubstituted forScalesat 76′minutes
- 18RogicSubstituted forBittonat 72′minutes
- 11AbadaSubstituted forGiakoumakisat 71′minutes
- 8FuruhashiSubstituted forJohnstonat 86′minutes
- 17Neves Filipe
- 3MmaeeBooked at 40mins
- 16ZachariassenSubstituted forLoncarat 66′minutes
- 93LaidouniSubstituted fordo Rosário Calmonat 67′minutes
- 10Chol NguenSubstituted forMakat 83′minutes
- 7do Rosário Calmon
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Celtic 2, Ferencvaros 0.
Second Half ends, Celtic 2, Ferencvaros 0.
Liam Scales (Celtic) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Ryan Mmaee (Ferencvaros).
Try saved. Michael Johnston (Celtic) proper footed shot from exterior the field is saved within the backside left nook. Assisted by Carl Starfelt.
Try missed. Jota (Celtic) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is shut, however misses to the precise. Assisted by Michael Johnston with a via ball following a quick break.
Foul by Liam Scales (Celtic).
Somália (Ferencvaros) wins a free kick on the precise wing.
Try missed. Ryan Mmaee (Ferencvaros) proper footed shot from exterior the field is excessive and vast to the left. Assisted by Bálint Vécsei.
Substitution, Celtic. Michael Johnston replaces Kyogo Furuhashi.
Try missed. David Turnbull (Celtic) left footed shot from the centre of the field misses to the precise. Assisted by Jota with a via ball.
Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Ryan Mmaee (Ferencvaros).
Substitution, Ferencvaros. Róbert Mak replaces Tokmac Chol Nguen.
Giorgos Giakoumakis (Celtic) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Miha Blazic (Ferencvaros).
Personal Purpose by Bálint Vécsei, Ferencvaros. Celtic 2, Ferencvaros 0.
Try missed. David Turnbull (Celtic) left footed shot from the centre of the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Jota.
Try missed. Giorgos Giakoumakis (Celtic) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is just too excessive. Assisted by Kyogo Furuhashi with a cross.
Giorgos Giakoumakis (Celtic) wins a free kick on the left wing.