|Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow Date: Saturday, 9 October Kick-off: 17:00 BST|
|Protection: Commentary on BBC Radio Scotland, textual content updates at BBC Sport web site, Sportscene highlights at 22:35 on BBC One Scotland|
Steve Clarke is “excited” to see how his first Hampden full home as head coach will encourage Scotland in Saturday’s essential assembly with Israel.
Scotland sit second behind Denmark in World Cup qualifying Group F, one level forward of their guests with 4 video games remaining.
Clarke hopes the packed stands will assist his facet finish a run of 4 conferences with Israel with no win.
“I’m intrigued to see if that makes a distinction,” he mentioned.
“I do know the gamers are trying ahead to it, I’m trying ahead to it and hopefully it offers us that little bit additional impetus to go and get the factors that we would like.”
Round 50,000 followers are anticipated and are being requested to convey proof of vaccination. Nonetheless, they won’t be turned away if they don’t have any because the Scottish authorities spot-checking scheme won’t be in full operation till 18 October.
Scotland ended a run of 4 video games with no win by beating Moldova at Hampden, then Austria in Vienna, final month, whereas Israel had convincing wins over Faroe Islands and Austria earlier than their 5-0 thumping in Denmark final outing.
The perimeters have met six occasions since 2018, however Clarke’s workforce have solely gained one, regardless of being 35 locations greater on this planet rankings at 45. The supervisor is anticipating a “tight, technical sport” between two well-matched groups.
“I believe we each have improved, most likely in equal measures,” he mentioned. “I’ve spoken quite a bit about how I really feel we’ve got improved over my tenure and I believe the Israelis have finished the identical underneath their coach.”
Clarke shall be compelled right into a swap in defence with Norwich Metropolis centre-half Grant Hanley suspended. Nonetheless, Manchester United’s Scott McTominay returns after harm and will once more be utilised within the again three.
Israel’s Willi Ruttensteiner has referred to as up Hapoel Jerusalem midfielder Goni Naor and 19-year-old Spezia striker Suf Podgoreanu, however a primary cap for both can be a shock.
Goalkeeper Ofir Marciano, who switched from Hibernian to Feyenoord this summer time, is a sure starter.
Select your beginning XI. It is as much as you how you can strategy it – you would go for the workforce you WANT the supervisor to choose or the one you THINK he’ll.
Is there something we do not find out about Israel?
How will head coach Ruttensteiner reply to his facet’s thumping in Denmark after an equally emphatic 5-2 defeat of Austria?
Celtic utility man Nir Bitton performed in that sport earlier than being an unused substitute in Copenhagen and will return, and what of Parkhead winger Liel Abada? He was on the bench for these two video games however has made a powerful begin in Scotland.
Nonetheless, Israel’s strengths are in assault and the 20-year-old is more likely to need to bide his time given the issues Shakhtar Donetsk extensive man Manor Solomon and PSV Eindhoven striker Eran Zahavi have given Scotland in latest conferences.
It’s a 50-50 sport – evaluation
Former Israel and Celtic midfielder Beram Kayal
Israel consider they may do one thing, however the huge benefit for Scotland is that they’re taking part in at house in entrance of fifty,000 at Hampden and they’re additionally coming off the again of a few good outcomes.
The mentality and the best way they’re talking within the media proper now, Israel need the win and may consider they will try this. It’s huge for them they usually travelled early to Scotland to get used to the chilly climate there.
The Israeli workforce have good high quality up entrance and may punish any workforce in Europe, however we should not overlook that gamers within the Scottish squad are taking part in within the high league on this planet – the Premier League.
So, for me, it’s a 50-50 sport and each groups have proven they will win it. I’m going for a draw.
- After profitable 4 of their first 5 video games towards Israel, Scotland are winless in 4 towards them, shedding as soon as and drawing 1-1 in Tel Aviv within the reverse World Cup qualifier in March.
- Israel are but to win at Hampden Park in 4 makes an attempt, shedding twice.
- Scotland have solely misplaced one in every of their previous 12 World Cup qualifiers, 2-0 to Denmark in September, profitable seven of them. They’ve saved seven clear sheets in these 12 video games.
- Israel suffered a 5-0 defeat of their final outing towards Denmark, their heaviest in a World Cup qualifier since shedding to Sweden by the identical rating in June 1993.
- Scotland want to win three consecutive house World Cup qualifiers for the primary time since profitable all 5 in qualifying for the 1998 World Cup.
- Memphis Depay and Aleksandar Mitrovic (seven objectives every) are the one Europeans to have scored extra World Cup 2022 qualifying objectives than Israel striker Eran Zahavi (six). Zahavi has additionally scored in two of his three earlier appearances towards Scotland at Hampden.
- Striker Lyndon Dykes has scored in his previous two qualifiers for Scotland, the winners towards Moldova and Austria. The one Scottish man to attain in three in a row is Mo Johnston, who netted in 5 consecutively between September 1988 and April 1989.