Newcastle fan who collapsed ‘making nice progress’

Alan George Smith collapsed at a Newcastle match

The household of a Newcastle fan who collapsed on the staff’s Premier League match towards Tottenham on Sunday says he’s “making nice progress”.

Play was suspended as Alan George Smith, 80, was given CPR and was subsequently taken to hospital.

Tottenham gamers Eric Dier and Sergio Reguilon have been praised for alerting medics and officers.

“We’re happy to advise that Alan is making nice progress,” stated Mr Smith’s son Paul.

“[He] is now absolutely alert and is up and strolling about. He’ll stay in hospital over the subsequent few days whereas additional checks are carried out. He, and our household, wish to say thanks to his buddy, Don Williamson, who was with him on the time and alerted everybody to his situation.

“We’d additionally prefer to thank and pay tribute to the medical doctors and nurses who administered CPR, the paramedics from North East Ambulance Service, St John’s Ambulance, followers and stewards on the scene, as properly the medical workers on the RVI and Freeman Hospital. We might be endlessly grateful.

“We’d additionally prefer to say thanks to all the individuals who have wished Alan properly on social media and the gamers and workers of each Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur, particularly Jamaal Lascelles who has despatched a private message. It meant a lot to Alan.

“He’s trying ahead to getting again to St. James’ Park as quickly as attainable.”

A fan within the crowd close to to the incident was Dr Tom Prichard, who spoke about his involvement on BBC Breakfast.

He stated: “All of it occurred so rapidly. I used to be sat within the Gallowgate Finish and I may see that there was one thing occurring. Followers have been calling over stewards and first-aiders and there was a woman doing CPR on somebody.

“As an A&E physician I went to supply a hand to see how I may assist.”

Supporters within the stand alerted gamers to the scenario and Reguilon spoke to referee Andre Marriner, whereas Dier made medics conscious and to attend with a defibrillator.

Mr Smith was then taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) earlier than being moved to Freeman Hospital for specialist care.

How to follow Newcastle on the BBC bannerNewcastle banner footer

Supply by [author_name]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *