Alfredo Morelos was saved ready for his a hundredth Rangers objective as Steven Gerrard’s males revived their Europa League knockout hopes by easing to victory over Brondby at Ibrox.
Leon Balogun’s thumping header and a Kemar Roofe tap-in – from a parried Morelos header – gave Rangers their first factors on the third try and carry them off the underside of Group A.
Morelos hit the publish and substitute Scott Arfield struck the crossbar because the hosts had been denied additional targets to cement their superiority.
Lyon’s comeback win at Sparta Prague leaves Gerrard’s aspect some extent behind the Czechs on the midway stage of the group.
A visit to Denmark subsequent will maintain no fears for the Scottish champions after Brondby supplied feeble opposition in Glasgow.
Morelos’ scoring document this season – 5 targets in 15 video games – was highlighted pre-match by supervisor Gerrard as under the usual he expects from his strikers.
The go to of the ailing Danish champions – Brondby are floundering in sixth place of their home league – offered the perfect probability for the ahead and Rangers to rediscover a leading edge.
The Colombian had already examined Thomas Mikkelsen with a 20-yard strike when he left the goalkeeper helpless with a whipped effort on the cusp of half-time, solely to be denied by the upright.
Mikkelsen denied Morelos once more halfway by means of the second interval, with the 25-year-old glumly trudging off moments later to get replaced by Vogue Sakala.
Centre-back Balogun had proven the best way along with his first Rangers objective. James Tavernier – underneath a hail of missiles raining down from Brondby followers – swung in an inch-perfect nook and Balogun outmuscled Morten Frendrup to energy a header previous Mikkelsen.
Brondby must have been degree when Andrija Pavlovic slashed a near-post effort vast, and their profligacy was quickly punished.
Joe Aribo’s supply was spot on for Morelos, however the striker headed straight at Mikkelsen, whose parry was knocked dwelling by Roofe. The offside flag was instantly raised to mute dwelling followers’ celebrations, earlier than Croatia referee Fran Jovic awarded the objective following a VAR verify.
With a two-goal cushion and half an hour performed, Rangers seemed dwelling and dry. Brondby’s solely risk got here from Rangers lapses, with Borna Barisic’s terrible backpass sending Mikael Uhre clear. However with simply Allan McGregor to beat, the striker fired vast.
Aribo was rightly aggrieved to not be given a penalty when the midfielder’s darting run was halted by Sigurd Rosted.
And goalscorer Balogun’s evening ended prematurely when he made manner for Calvin Bassey after showing to tweak a hamstring.
Rangers must have added to their lead within the closing levels however Arfield swept the ball in opposition to the bar from a Scott Wright cutback and Sakala was denied one-on-one by Mikkelsen.
Man of the match – Joe Aribo
What did we be taught?
Rangers are nonetheless not firing on all cylinders, however this was knowledgeable efficiency and a vastly necessary win as they bid to achieve the knockout section for the third season operating.
And whereas type continues to elude Morelos, Roofe is proving a dependable supply of targets, with the Jamaica worldwide taking his membership tally to eight in 14 matches this season.
On the different finish, Rangers’ greatest hazard was complacency as they gave Brondby a few probabilities that higher sides would have profited from.
Scottish Premiership leaders Rangers are again in league motion on Sunday with a brief journey to face St Mirren (12:00 BST).
What the stats say
- Rangers have gained eight of their 9 matches in opposition to Danish sides in all European competitions (D1), profitable at the very least as soon as in opposition to every of the 5 sides they’ve confronted from Denmark.
- Rangers got here into this match off the again of three consecutive Europa League defeats and had been winless in 4 within the competitors. Their two targets tonight had been greater than that they had netted of their earlier 4 matches within the competitors (1).
- Brondby stay the one aspect with no objective on this season’s Europa League marketing campaign, regardless of registering 16 makes an attempt on objective.
- Leon Balogun’s opener was his first ever objective for Rangers and his first in any membership competitors since netting for Brighton in opposition to Crystal Palace within the Premier League again in December 2018.
- Twelve of Keemar Roofe’s 13 targets for Rangers in 2021 have come at Ibrox (the opposite away at St Johnstone in September).
- Since Steven Gerrard’s first recreation in command of Rangers in July 2018, James Tavernier has offered 48 assists throughout all competitions, at the very least 20 greater than every other participant for the membership throughout this era.
- 26BalogunSubstituted forBasseyat 64′minutes
- 4LundstramBooked at 29minsSubstituted forArfieldat 78′minutes
- 7HagiSubstituted forWrightat 78′minutes
- 20MorelosSubstituted forSakalaat 71′minutes
- 25RoofeSubstituted forBacunaat 78′minutes
- 23CappisSubstituted forGreveat 81′minutes
- 19FrendrupBooked at 41minsSubstituted forBørkeeietat 73′minutes
- 25Ben SlimaneSubstituted forRadosevicat 45′minutes
- 14MensahSubstituted forRiverosat 63′minutes
- 11UhreSubstituted forHedlundat 63′minutes
- 31Singh Sidhu
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Rangers 2, Brøndby IF 0.
Second Half ends, Rangers 2, Brøndby IF 0.
Try saved. Joe Aribo (Rangers) left footed shot from outdoors the field is saved within the backside left nook. Assisted by Steven Davis.
Vogue Sakala (Rangers) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Foul by Jens Gammelby (Brøndby IF).
Try saved. James Tavernier (Rangers) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is saved within the backside proper nook. Assisted by Scott Arfield.
Foul by Scott Wright (Rangers).
Andreas Maxsø (Brøndby IF) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Scott Arfield (Rangers) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Sigurd Rosted (Brøndby IF).
Try saved. Vogue Sakala (Rangers) left footed shot from the centre of the field is saved within the centre of the objective. Assisted by Calvin Bassey.
Substitution, Brøndby IF. Mathias Greve replaces Christian Cappis.
Scott Arfield (Rangers) hits the bar with a proper footed shot from the centre of the field. Assisted by Scott Wright.
Substitution, Rangers. Scott Wright replaces Ianis Hagi.
Substitution, Rangers. Juninho Bacuna replaces Kemar Roofe.
Substitution, Rangers. Scott Arfield replaces John Lundstram.
Foul by Kemar Roofe (Rangers).
Blás Riveros (Brøndby IF) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Substitution, Brøndby IF. Tobias Børkeeiet replaces Morten Frendrup.
Substitution, Rangers. Vogue Sakala replaces Alfredo Morelos.